Symphonic Winds Joins with the Travis Brass Quintet for Oct. 28 Concert

Publicity Photo

Chico State’s Symphonic Winds will perform its annual fall semester concert, titled “New York Cityscape” this year, Saturday, Oct. 28 at 7:30 p.m. in Harlen Adams Theatre.

Symphonic Winds director and Department of Music and Theatre faculty member, Royce Tevis, said the goal of the concert is “to make beautiful music.”

Joining the Symphonic Winds will be the Travis Brass Quintet, a highly regarded U.S. Air Force music ensemble.

The Symphonic Winds’ program of compositions is based on a theme of landscapes.

Starting with the song “Rocky Point Holiday”by Ron Nelson—a complicated piece about Puerto Peñasco, Mexico—the concert will include works that represent recognizable topography, Tevis noted.

The Travis Brass Quintet will collaborate with the Symphonic Winds for the song “New York Cityscape”by Jeff Tyzik.

Also being performed will be a student-only rendition of Frank Ticheli’s “Shenandoah,” a capstan shanty about the Shenandoah River; Morton Gould’s “Santa Fe Saga”; Philip Sparke’s “Sunrise at Angel's Gate”; John Philip Sousa’s “Manhattan Beach”and others.

Tevis described the compositions as “exciting pieces with lovely, soaring melodies.”

The Symphonic Winds Ensemble is composed of a variety of student majors, surprisingly only 40 percent are from the Department of Music and Theatre. The other 60 percent come from a variety of departments, most notably engineering and nursing.

Tevis described the students in the Symphonic Winds as “dedicated” and “always ready to play” at their weekly rehearsals.

“With the students’ drive and musical passion, ‘New York Cityscape’ is bound to be an incredible experience for all audience members,” Tevis said.

Tickets, at $15 adults, $13 seniors, and $6 Chico State students and youth, are available at CSU, Chico’s University Box Office, 530-898-6333, online at www.chicostatetickets.com, or at the door before the performance.

Harlen Adams Theatre is located in room 144 of the Performing Arts Center on Chico State’s campus. For those who need special seating accommodations, please call 530-898-6333. More information is available online at the School of the Arts’ website, www.schoolofthearts-csuchico.com, and Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChicoStateSOA.

***

For forty years, Dr. Royce S. Tevis has earned national recognition for quality performances of both high school and university bands under his direction.  Prior to coming to Chico State, he served for eight years as Director of Bands at McNeese State University in Lake Charles, LA.  Professor Tevis has served as the Treasurer of the California Band Directors Association and as the head of performing arts units for 16 years in California Public School Districts.  He was a band and orchestra director for 16 years in California Public Schools, was a trumpet instructor at the Peninsula Conservatory of Music and served as an Army Bandsman. Currently as the Director of University Bands at California State University, Chico, he conducts the Wind Ensemble, the Symphonic Band, working with all aspects of the University Band Program. Dr. Tevis teaches courses in conducting, wind literature, and instrumental education.

For information about our band program, please contact the Department of Music and Theatre Office at 530-898-5152.